Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Boats, War Eagle, Rain and Things Get a Little Insane

What a day. So we started off with our morning meeting. Then a large part of us went off to an orphange in a town called Bethany, however, getting there was a little different than I expected. So we were to take a bus to the shore of Lake Victoria and then take a boat the rest of the way. Most of us were thinking a ferry style boat and someone even asked if we were going to drive the bus on the boat....um no. This boat kind of reminded me of a large wooden canoe with a small motor and it launched from a dock that really felt like Africa. We asked if people swam in the water and the comment back was, "Only in and emergency." When we got there we also saw ant hills as high as people, probably something best to stay away from.

The orphange was great. The kids were wonderful. There was a group there from Auburn University too. Pam, for your sake I made a video of them doing the "War Eagle" cheer and I guess they taught it to some of the kids too. It was a pretty powerful trip. It was a place of joy and happiness and the kids have a singing troop that performed for us too.

IWe had a huge 30 minute rain shower and it caused some major chaos at the field. Rivers and lakes were formed in the field. We had a 2 ton LED video wall come crashing down into the spectator area on the field and some general flooding. No one was injured. We really need for it not to rain on Friday or Saturday. I so trust the people on this trip and have no doubt by Friday things will be right. They think there's a chance it can still work and there are fences being put in place to protect from it happening again.



5 comments:

MAH said...

Doug,

Thanks for keeping us all updated with your adventures! you are all in my prayers daily.
Molly

Pam said...

I don't know if I was the Pam the War
Eagle was for but thanks - we are praying for you.

War Eagle!!!
Pam (Beth's mother)

Anonymous said...

Wow..keeping up with Kristen via Twitter and heard about this throughout the day today. I continue to pray for you guys and am confident that this is a huge opportunity for God to show up in a big way. Wish I was there to see it first hand, but you are doing an awesome job keeping us updated! I linked you on my blog post about it..great pics!

Pam Masters said...

I'm not sure who Beth's mother is, but I assume you meant the War Eagle story for me. ;-) Can't wait to see the video when you get back. That's priceless. The pic of you and the kids is great. I sent you a long email... Hope you're still staying clear of the malaria!...

War Eagle!
Pam (Doug's girlfriend) ;-)

Pam Masters said...

p.s. Sounds like your orphanage experience was 180 degrees from mine in Romania... Glad to hear that. Glad you guys are getting to see some of life there, not just work all day. Can't wait to see all the pictures!!!