Thursday, May 29, 2008

20,000 and SPF 30

Well it looks like a venue! It has a perimeter fence, tents and the second LED wall is almost back in place and things are looking promising for it to work. It was a beautiful day, no rain. This sun is brutal though, I had SPF 30 on and I reapplied 4 times and still got lit up and a little burned. Sound checks looked awesome, something amazing is going to happen in Kampala. It just melts your heart to see Chris Tomlin on stage playing "How Great is Our God" with an African children's group singing behind him. I think when they started the whole field froze for a couple of minutes and just stopped to take it all in.

So here's the really exciting news, we already have 20,000 students registered! There is just a buzz everywhere and tomorrow I think the place is going to go nuts. The voluteers are awesome, so eager to serve. We have so many who want to help, hopefully we can find roles for all of them.

So are there still worries and prayers? Sure. Good weather would make things so much easier. Loading the students on and off the field will be a challenge, but our folks have a great plan. Also, hopefully we won't be in a situation where we have to turn anyone away.

So it's late and I'm tired, but I'll share a quick story from the people at registration. So there was this little African boy, maybe 7, that was trying to get in. Finally he shows up at the gate and must have heard some of the volunteers talking because he said, "I'm Chris Tomlin and I'm here to play my guitar at 4:00!"

Good night and the next time you here from me I should have pictures of Passion Kampala!

6 comments:

Pam Masters said...

OK, I think I figured out who Beth's mom is - and I know Beth, I just forgot she was there. Anyway, her blog is at http://bethinkampala.blogspot.com/. I'm loving that there are so many blogging there!

Anonymous said...

are you serious? Chris Tomlin up there with those kids?? Man, I'm teary just looking at the picture!!! Cute story about that little kid! You are doing a great job keeping us updated!!

john54956 said...

Doug,
It's interesting to hear about this. Keep up the good work. Your mom & dad are out of town, but I have been keeping them informed.
Looking forward to you Jue vivit
john

Pam Masters said...

10:15am here - so I think it's 5:15pm there - so figure you're probably having last volunteer meetings right now - and letting kids in in around 6pm maybe. anyway, am praying all goes well tonight! am listening to Crowder right now - "Can You Feel It?"... Figure that's pretty appropriate for you guys right now! ;-) can't wait to hear about it! (but know you probably will be too tired to blog or email tonight. hope you found some safe caffeine today.)

Pam (Masters)

(and hey to John in WI)

Pam Masters said...

I found another Kampala blog through Renee's blog. http://web.mac.com/thebizzle/Site/Blog/Blog.html. She's got a bunch of pictures of the last few days under Pictures - until you can get back and upload all of yours for everyone.

Unknown said...

Hey Doug. I've enjoyed checking your blog every couple of nights. I love all the pictures! My prayers are coming your way from Italy! Ciao!