Monday, June 4, 2012

Dot Dot Boo-Boo Stickers

So what is a brain tumor in the family like from a 2 y/o perspective?  Actually pretty funny, refreshing and heartwarming.  I remember a month ago now when we first found out and flew to KC to ride with my sister and niece.  We were getting ready to leave KC to go to see my dad and Ella said, "Papa has a boo-boo in his head, gonna try to fix it."  Guess in a lot of ways it really is that simple.  To her he's just the same old grandpa (papa), he just has a boo boo same as she has half a dozen miscellaneous boo-boos on her arms and legs right now.

Ella wasn't there in the surgery prep area, but one of the things they did was put fiducials (little dot stickers that show on an MRI) all over his forehead.  They use these in surgery to guide them.  We texted Ella's mom a pic (I'll save my dad the grief of putting it online).  Ella loves polka dots, she calls them dot dots and she likes to put band-aids on her scrapes, she calls them boo-boo stickers.  Ella saw the pic and said, "Papa has dot dot boo boo stickers!"  It kind of stuck and is one of my lasting memories of the surgery day.

I'm so happy Ella is around, she's been great relaxation, perspective and comic relief.  I guess we all handle stress differently.  I read and research, anything you need to know related to brain tumors, I'm your guy.  My one sister shops.  My dad sleeps.  My mom does chores and house projects.  My other sister walks and plays cards.  Speaking of my mom, she recruits others to participate in her stress relief.  We moved like a half ton of dirt and tilled ground that resembled concrete so holding onto the tiller was like riding a bull sometimes.  Oh well, mom was happy and it was a good workout, just wish I hadn't participated in my sister's stress relief too and gone for a 6 mile walk.

Still no word from Mayo (more on that later), but dad seems to be doing well.  He has a daily TV, radio and reading schedule now and seems in good spirits.  Wait. Hope. Pray. Repeat.

No comments: