Sunday, October 2, 2011

Thanks Mom and Dad

So at church I've been given the honor of interviewing kids for baptism. It's really been an amazing experience, I love it. As faith building as it has been to see these kids so excited about God, I've also seen some things that are hard. When I was being trained for this the thought was maybe 1 in 30 would be difficult, I've done 6 (5 solo and 1 training) and 3 of them have been a little rough for one reason or another. Now I put on my best Doug charm with jokes and fun to lighten the mood, but some were just hard. Two of the three that were rough can at least be partially traced back to parents going through a divorce and the kid being shaken by that. I've also seen the impact it has on kids in my regular UpStreet groups. It just makes me so appreciate my parents. Never once as a child did I ever fear mom and dad not being together. Now I'm sure they had their rough times, but to us they were always a unified loving front. I took it so for granted and now realize how lucky I was. I wish every kid could have that.

No comments: