Thursday, October 6, 2011

Renewable Fuel?

Was reading and article about making fuel from waste food like sausage http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/8610666/Companies-turn-to-sewage-taramasalata-and-sausage-rolls-for-power.html. Read one time that in the US about 40% of the food we produce is thrown away, so at least this way scraps go for something. My company (www.hydrodynamics.com) actually has a biodiesel arm (www.advancedbiofuel.net) so this topic is actualy near and dear to me. The throwing away of so much food also just bugs me with so much starvation in places like Africa. I always feel awful when I let leftover or fresh produce spoil. I remember I used to own a diesel car and I sometimes drove it on biodiesel made from chicken fat and my tailpipe smelled like KFC. Now in the article the also talk about making fuel from sewage, that for sure is a waste product, but based on my experience I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck in traffic behind one.

No comments: