Tuesday, April 21, 2015

For Earth Day I'm Turning Over a New Leaf!

OK, I actually bought a new Leaf and I'm very excited!  I needed a new car as my old one was on the verge of needing several multiples in repairs more than what it was worth, so we decided to take the plunge.  I'd like to say it's all "green" thinking, but economics were a huge part with gas savings and the $12,500 in tax credits we'll get.  I've always been OK with owning "different" cars from my 1988 Hyundai Excel (before Hyundai was good) to a Mazda RX-8 with a rotary engine to a VW Jetta diesel, so I'm more excited than worried about owning a bit of an oddity.  The 84 mile range makes you plan a bit more, but the car is a cathedral to technology with all the creature comforts you could want in a commuter car.  I admit I have some initial range anxiety, but a fast charger for home and work with my predictable route should make that go away pretty quick.  I also pass a Nissan dealership going to work and I can always do a 5 minute quick charge there in a pinch.  Sure its a bit inconvenient, but the gas savings in our checking account and the $12,500 in tax credits in January will happily have me put up with a few inconveniences.

Me, Pam and Leafy

Speaking of tax credits, it's sad to see Georgia's $5,000 tax credit probably disappearing July 1st, but what's worse is the new $200 fee on electric vehicles up from $35.  The fee is meant to offset the lost tax from EV owners not buying gas and paying gas tax to fund the transportation budget, but I think the amount is a bit unfair.  $200 is more than the gas taxes paid by an average Georgia resident driving a large SUV getting 15 miles per gallon!  I agree EV owners should have to pay something, but $100 like a standard car seems much more reasonable.  I think the gas tax system worked great for a long time, the more you drove the more you paid toward road upkeep, but alternative fuel vehicles are a huge disruption to this system.  See the chart below to see what you pay in gas tax every year:

Source: My AJC
http://www.myajc.com/news/annual-gas-tax/
I love my Leaf already, Pam and I call her Leafy.  If you want a great car at a great price the Nissan Leaf is an awesome choice provided you can get over any "range anxiety" issues.  Well my electric car adventure begins, look for updates coming soon!

No comments: